Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Disney Movie Review: Moana

Did I want to see "Moana" last week? No, not really, but when you are the father of two girls and they have a cousin sleep over and it is raining and cold outside and you live in a small house, spending $55 to get out of the house seems  like a great idea.  From the points of the movie I saw when I wasn't telling my kids to sit down, this movie was OK, and I'm grading on the kids movie scale, I'm being realistic here.  The story is a little weird.  Basically the girl who plays Moana is going to be the princess of her island nation.  However the tribe that she rules on the island can no longer find fish to eat and all their fruit crops are dying.  So Moana's grandmother tells her that she needs to get rid of some sort of curse.  Moana being the pain in the ass teenager she is, says she won't do it.  Of course, since this is a Disney movie the grandmother dies and Moana changes here mind.  She's goes out to the ocean and finds Maui.  He is the guy in the picture above and voiced by "The Rock".



Anyway The Rock's character is some sort of mythical god that helps Moana fight some other demon.  This is the part of the story where I got lost, again I'm sure it's an easy storyline but as I said I was telling my kids to sit down and I forget what happened.  All in all they fight a bad guy, defeat the bad guy and when Moana returns to her island home the fruit crops are now healthy and the tribe can fish the waters again.

Frozen , Zootopia and Wreck it Ralph were 5x better than this movie.  The story line was OK and the songs were not as good as other Disney Flicks.  It is not a giant turd, but compared to other movies of Disney's past it wasn't as good. So don't rush to the theaters with your kids to see it, wait till it hits the Redbox and you only have to pay $1.29 to rent it. (Yes I still rent DVD's, I know its 2016 but don't judge, I like saving $.) Lastly this is the one song that got stuck in my head.  The girl who plays Moana has a great voice, but what is weird about the songs in this flick is that the Rock sings one too.  It was really odd. 

Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment